Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cappadocia, Turkey

Oddly, an old blog of mine was sent out a couple days ago, making me think I should attempt to keep a little better in touch. I have been in Turkey for a short R&R, arriving in Istanbul just in time for the Easter break crowds. Istanbul has a great deal to off; however, after standing in long lines for the better part of three days and pushing my way through crushing crowds to get back to my less-than-desirable hostel room, I hopped the overnight bus to Cappadocia, finding a lovely hostel in a tiny town called Goreme that looks a lot like Bisbee would look if it were carved out of rock. Words and photos (video below) do not do this place justice. I only have 3 days here, and it is not enough. One needs at least a week or so to hike around and visit the little towns that pepper the area, marveling at all the cave homes, some of which are still inhabited. I would love to stay a month in a little cave home here. I took a hike through Ihlara Canyon, also dotted with cave dwellings and churches, that was very reminiscent of Pays Dogon in the Bandiagaras Cliffs in Mali, as well as the Anasazi cliff dwellings in the southwestern US. I hope the video link works. I will post another of Istanbul before I leave to return to Afghanistan.

2 comments:

Ronnie said...

Wasn't your birthday on the 19th of this month? I hope it was a lovely day for you. I still think of you often and wonder how you are doing. Your blogs have touched my heart.

Ronnie

Lars Everson said...

I've enjoyed many of your past posts. Thanks for re-emerging and letting us know how things are going for you.